Thursday, January 21, 2010

Introducing...

Our little one has arrived!

Lily Grayce
1.19.2010 ~ 7lbs 11oz ~ 18 1/2 inches
a healthy and beautiful baby


Pictures take a long time to load from the hospital wifi, so I'll leave you with these two for now, with promises of many more to come!
Since so many have asked, here's the story. Right now it's 2:45am and I'm waiting for Lily to return from her checkup in the nursery since she's due for another meal, so you'll have to expect some sleepy phrasing!
Our baby girl was due January 18th. We needed to schedule an induction before week 41 was up, to keep her from getting too big and also to make sure she was home before our insurance ends! Ended up the only date available was January 19th, so we took it. January 18th came and went (Happy Birthday to Lily's "Great Babci" Great Grandma Remaly!) and we went to sleep with alarms set for early in the morning.
Already an over-achiever, Lily decided to make a run for it at 4:30am, and my labor started! We got to the hospital around 7am. Since we had a far way to go yet, the docs decided to start the induction meds anyway and make sure things were progressing.
Leaving out all the boring details that you don't need to hear if you've been there done that, and don't want to hear otherwise, my water was broken and labor progressed quicker than the docs expected. I attempted the natural drug-free route, but ended up going with an epidural, which was an excellent choice. I never lost feeling in my legs and I was perfectly alert.
With the help of my Mom and Eric, along with a team of very patient and glare-resistant nurses,
I delivered Lily at 2:08pm. All told less than 10 hours of labor!
Due to meconium (bowel movements) in the womb, they had to clear her airways before I could hold and feed her, but she came out screaming and very alert. She held Eric's finger while the nurses checked her over and pretty quickly we were able to sit and stare at our new little one!
She took to feeding (and filling diapers) like a pro, which is such a blessing. Her hair is two different colors - brown with blond "highlights," and her eyes are a georgeous steel blue gray. She always wants her hands free and sucks either thumb with force. Her legs keep stretching and kicking away and I can't help but smile since I'm not getting it in the ribs anymore!
I will need some time to heal and recover, but I am feeling some improvement just over the last 24 hours. I am looking forward to being home with Eric and Lily and to introducing her to all our friends and relatives. If you're down our way, give us a call. You can't pass up this little girl - she's amazing, and what's more,
she's ours.

- Jess, for all of us

No comments: